[CQ-Contest] Contest Scoreboards ???

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Jul 11 21:56:57 EDT 2006

Ken, the issue of whether a scoreboard would inadvertently help your competition was intensively discussed last fall on the real-time scoring reflector that WA7BNM maintains, and one of the first decisions was to give each operator control over what information is posted and when.  For example, if your competition's seeing your current band would help him catch openings he might miss otherwise, you don't have to disclose that; same goes for band-by-band totals, mult counts, or anything else.  As for the "real-time" aspect, the working assumption is that scores will be posted at intervals selectable by the operator, so a lag could be built in.

The whole idea of developing a data standard is not only to make life easier for the logging software writers.  It will also let contest organizers decide whether or not to implement a scoreboard for their event, and then be able to implement one easily, because the data provided by the logging programs follows a single standard format.

To my mind, at least, the most important goal is to interest non-contesters in the sport by conveying the competitive excitement, as well as showing them how quickly participating in a contest can move them toward their personal goals, whether WAS, DXCC or whatever.  I agree that competitors might not be the principal audience for a scoreboard, in some contests at least; on the other hand, wouldn't it be fun to see a comparison of the rovers in a major state QSO party, as they were pounding the pavement from one county to another?

73, Pete N4ZR