[CQ-Contest] Contest Scoreboards

Bato, Andras bato at starjan.hu
Sat Jul 15 13:06:24 EDT 2006

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:24:28 -0400 Bill Coleman wrote:

>So, in this one example, I don't see that your statement has any
>force. If you are busy operating in a contest, then it would be
>foolish to mess around with a contest scoreboard.

As far as I remember K1TTT started this idea. My understanding is that
scoreboards are a must to catch cheaters. Cheaters are like viruses so
we must be protected against them! ( Just take a look at the report of
K1ZZ & G3SXW in issue 21.)

I am thinking about how to solve a problem of mine.
A nearby station is a regular in HF contests. I know he has a power
amplifier which produce several hundreds of watts -if not a kilowatt.
Despite this he keeps sending logs in LP category! I use an FT757
barefoot. It is not fair to evaluate these two (and many many more)
stations in the same category.

In case we could use a scoreboard the difference in the advance of of an
LP station which use 100 W and another "LP" station  using a kW must be
noticeable!

>Further, it's clear
>that some top-notch contest operators are capable of operating full
>speed and doing other things at the same time.

Big guns usally make runs only. Sometimes there are no takers for even
several minutes. Then you have time to send messages, etc.

All in all in a football match there are the footballers and there are
the spectators who badly need a scoreboard!

We can also have spectators -perhaps a bit more then the number of those
who have been present in Berlin's Olympiastadion  last Sunday.

gl de ha6nn
Andras