[CQ-Contest] Is it a time to change rulesfor HQstnsin IARUcontest ?

Ted Bryant w4nz at comcast.net
Mon Jul 17 16:22:19 EDT 2006

I was the other 40m CW operator for W1AW/4.  Out of over 1200 QSO's on that band, a few over 700
were US stations.  Any rules change that would create a disincentive for those stations to work
their own headquarters station would be a mistake. I believe that this would be true for any
country's headquarters station.

On the other hand, for stations to line up and work only their own country's HQ station, I believe,
is outside the spirit of the rules if not in direct violation. (wouldn't they be "uniques"?) If they
also work other stations, who they work is their choice, isn't it?  So, I don't see thresholds as
really being practical. (Remember the old ARRL DX contests with country "quotas"?)

Like Doug said, the TCG main objective was to provide a Headquarters QSO to ANY station regardless
of point value. Doing this may have actually cost us in our friendly rivalry with sister HQ station
NU1AW/8, but it's what we felt was our primary purpose....and it WAS fun!

73, Ted W4NZ