[CQ-Contest] "National competion" in IARU-contest

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Tue Jul 18 22:22:07 EDT 2006

>>It may be worth some discussion to find the optimal number - big enough
to have a broad effect and small enough to not exclude medium size-ham
populations. But the overall size and contesting activity still should
be reflected as it is in i.e. football, too: Brazil, England, Germany or
Italy have an advantage simply by the numer of active players and by the
resulting level of their national leagues (o.k. I delete the german
league :-( )

Just a rough idea. 73,

Chris (DL8MBS)<<

While I do not blame -mans and -ssian taking advantage of pushing the envelope within the rules, I just keep wondering about where are we heading with all the "inventions" in rules.

Now we are into "National Competition" and this whole HQ stations business. As I mentioned before, the whole HQ stations situation is lopsided and IMHO unnecessary as demonstrated by the controversy. Add the "Fan Club" QSOs in WRTC, you get the picture of "benefit".

We have "National Competition" by stations scoring well and bringing glory to their country as identified by their prefix. I think better way, more fair, is to have teams of limited number of stations, say one in each category, combine their scores for the "team whatever". This would encourage more teams even within the country and lets compete on more levelled field. Then get more teams in the country and add all that for the "National Competition". This would encourage more stations to participate and WORK EVERYBODY, not just their alma HQ.

The idea is to bring people into contesting, get them excited and build their stations to be more competitive, have fun. Making them to be "their duty" to work their HQ is just missing the target.
Drop the HQs from the multiplier list, make the teams of limited number of stations and the fun will be enjoyed by all.

73
Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU, VE3BMV