[CQ-Contest] Icom 746 as contesting rig

N7MAL N7MAL at CITLINK.NET
Mon Jul 24 19:20:20 EDT 2006

Mike K9MI said: ""2 with rig control, you don't accidentally log on the
wrong band""

In this station(n7mal) that is the upper most reason for rig control and the
only reason I use rig control during a contest. I, because I'm an airhead,
have thrown away several weekends because by the time I realized I was
logging on the wrong band it was to late. It's K1EA's fault for not writing
software that would read my mind... hihihi

MAL
N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm
http://geocities.com/n7mal/
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Brown
  To: John Geiger
  Cc: cq-contest at contesting.com
  Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 18:36
  Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Icom 746 as contesting rig

  John, a 746 (non pro, right?) is extremely easy to use with computer
  control and a contest logging program. You don't have to buy Icom's
  expesive interface. They can be had for around $40 and work fine. IMO a
  contesting rig has to have computer control for 2 basic reasons.

  1 you can see a station is a "dupe" and you know not to call him
  2 with rig control, you don't accidentally log on the wrong band

  When I look for a rig, computer control is a must. IC746, IC746 Pro and
  all flavors of the 756 have computer control. I thought my 746 a decent
  rig for contesting (for the money). The one major flaw mine had was SWR
  foldback. At a 1.5:1 it would drop to 50 watts out.

  73, Mike K9MI