[CQ-Contest] K3BU and multi-single

zl1aih at ihug.co.nz zl1aih at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jul 28 05:29:30 EDT 2006

Tree wrote :-
>Both EI7M (on CW) and PJ4W (on SSB) have
QSOs on 160 meters before and
after the time of the "QSO" as shown in the K3BU
log.  It looks like
the inconvenient truth is that these NILs had nothing
to do with a M/S
rule violation.>

Pure conjecture on my part (I wasn't in the contest),
but consider this scenario in a CW contest :-

ZX1X and XP9Z separated by <500hz are running
stations, and as experienced ops are using their
ears as filters (rather than using RIT and narrower
filters) - they are both being called by S&P stations
who may or may not have disabled RIT or who prefer
1000hz CW tone.   There are possibly two sets of
S&P ops within the passbands available to both
ZX1X and XP9Z.
However, the waiting S&P stations have narrowed
their filters to hear only one of the two running
stations.
Both running stations trying to maintain rate, send
their own calls only once every few minutes (which
would p**s me off anyway) - if they've been spotted
then maybe they go into DXpedition mode and send
their call after no one else calls.
If K3BU is calling ZX1Z but is in fact listening to and
being heard by XP9Z, then K3BU will not appear in
ZX1Z's log.
None of this problem would have occurred if both
ZX1Z andd XP9Z had observed the rules of their
own administration rather than bend them to their
own advantage.
Identifying every 10 minutes might be convenient for
a DXpedition trying to maximise QSOs but DXCC or
Honour Roll needs nothing more than a QSL card.
Contest log checkers need logs.
Until both contesters and contest organisers
recognise that a contest QSO is not valid until both
stations call signs have been sent during that QSO
then Yuri's criticism is fair comment.
I have found myself in the same situation more than
once.
73,
Ken ZL1AIH