[CQ-Contest] Contesting in the Sunlight [was: SO1R and SO2R]

Radiosporting Fan radiosporting at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 08:55:30 EDT 2006

--- Robert Naumann <w5ov at w5ov.com> wrote:
> When you are a single operator, you compete with
> other single operators. If no other person is
> helping the other guy (which would mean that he was
> cheating - by the way) then you and he are competing
> one on one, mano a mano - so to speak.

Only in the traditional sense, Bob.  This thread is
intended to reach deeper into the radiosporting
activity to realize that the administration of today's
events categorizes very broadly.  There are enough
differences between stations - even in the same
category - that affect outcome, that they should be
revealed ("placed in the sunlight" so to speak) to
help people better understand who their true
competition is (and learn from that to improve their
skills further).

Example: HP=201-watts to 1500-watts.  That's quite a
range.  Knowing if the guy you're chasing is within
3dB of you or 8-dB of you is a big deal.  The opposite
goes, too...if you note that the guy with 3-db less RF
scored better than you did.

Knowing such things can help us to hone our skills in
needed areas.

Ev, W2EV