[CQ-Contest] MLA-2500 as a contest amp?

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 01:10:11 EDT 2006

The MLA-2500 will live in contest service, but not at legal limit
levels.  For contest duty its a great 1200W amp on CW/SSB.

I've seen these amps produce tremendous amounts of power for short to
moderate periods of time, but definitely not in contest service.  If I
recall correctly, the ARRL review of the amp in 1976 stated their test unit
put out 2500W into a dummy load on the bench.  Pretty ridiculous when you
consider the two tubes together had a total plate dissipation rating of
600W :-(

However, these are really great DXpedition amps.  Not many other units will
deliver a contest-grade 1000W with 160M, and do it in a 44 pound box that
can be made to fit into a suitcase.

At 11:15 PM 6/1/2006, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>At 10:46 PM 6/1/2006, Radiosporting Fan wrote:
>
> >Is this amp capable of supporting "Contest Duty Cycle"
> >operation?  I see them on e-Bay from time to time (and
> >they have 160-meters, which interests me).
>
>And they have a very expensive tube to replace.  There are several
>published modifications for using cheaper, more readily-available tubes.

None of these mods are drop ins, and are not for the technically faint of
heart.  My favorite was W5AJ's substitution of a pair of 3CX800s, resulting
in an "MLA-2800".

Dave/K8CC