[CQ-Contest] W6AM Pictures

Brian Miller brianmiller at paradise.net.nz
Sat Jun 3 19:05:18 EDT 2006

Hi Yuri and others

We have a rhombic at the ZL6QH station, with 200m long legs elevated at about
20m above ground level. It is switchable between the short and long paths to
Northern Europe. Although the rhombic performs quite well, we have found that it
is generally not as effective as our yagi and long wire vee beams in contest
situations.

Rhombics exhibit high gain but the main lobe is very narrow. Our experience
suggests that antennas with more lobes and broader beams in the azimuth and
elevation planes are more useful for winning contests. I note that most
commercial rhombics were designed for point-to-point linking circuits, not
general coverage requirements

You can find more information about the ZL6QH station and antenna farm at
www.zl6qh.com.

73

Brian ZL1AZE
for Quartz Hill Management Committee