[CQ-Contest] June VHF contest and six meter antennas

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Jun 5 15:43:22 EDT 2006

Many HF radios come with six meters included.  However, not everyone that
has one of these will have a six meter antenna.

During this time of year - we have sporadic E skip openings that often do
not require a significant antenna.  This weekend, I had a QSO with a station
in VE5, who was using a 40 meter vertical.  He was peaking S9 at my QTH and
had a pile of Oregon stations calling him.

I have also worked stations using various other HF antennas.  A simple test
to see if your antenna works or not is to tune down below 50 MHz and listen
for baby monitors or cordless phones in your area.  Try your HF antennas and
use the one that sounds the best.  Then, tune your radio up around 50.125
and see what you hear.

Enjoy!!

Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree at kkn.net