[CQ-Contest] June VHF contest and six meter antennas

Mark Steven Williams k9gx at n4gn.com
Tue Jun 6 01:28:19 EDT 2006

Tree makes an excellent point here. During Sunday's amazing 6m Es openings I
worked a station in Denver who was 10 over and he was using a dipole mounted
in his attic! He was 3 S units louder than the station in eastern Arizona
who said he was running a four yagi "H" frame. I realize the guy in Az. was
stuck in the middle of the second hop to the west coast.

Anyway, I started operating "bogus" 6m antennas nearly 20 years ago. My
Moseley TA-33 tribander at 33 feet loaded up just fine on 6..and I worked
lots of stuff with it. If all else fails, build yourself a dipole and hang
it as high as you can. I've worked the west coast using a 1 watt 6m HT with
a telescoping whip. I have a QSL card here from 5T6M. I worked  Frank using
a 3 el 6M yagi which sits atop a 15 foot push up mast mounted on my front
porch.

So, take Tree's advice to heart. Whatever "wet noodle" antennas you have,
plug 'em in to the 6m port on your rig and listen around. One of the locals
here uses an 80 meter dipole on 6! Give it a shot.

These days I'm fortunate enough to have 7 elements on 6m at 115ft. But I
didn't hear any JAs with it Sunday afternoon..and I still use that little 3
element at 15 feet...and the HF9V vertical! Use whatever you've
got...there's a reason 6 is called the "Magic" band.

73, Mark, K9GX
EM78ad