[CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion

Mark Steven Williams k9gx at n4gn.com
Thu Jun 29 00:39:22 EDT 2006

Art,

I admire your optimistic outlook.

My observations on FD?

My first exposure to contesting was operating FD back in the late 80's (I
know it's an emergency preparedness exercise, not a contest!) and I have
very fond memories of those summer weekends with the local club.

Since moving to my somewhat rural "ranch" (24 acres and lots of trees for
hanging wires) several years ago  I've invited some of the locals over for a
low key FD cookout and some casual operating.

We did this for a couple of years and had a nice time. About 3 years ago
interest waned. A couple of the guys are getting up in years, others
commented that the FD "lid factor" was becoming intolerable, others got
married and are raising families, etc. etc. Last year I quit asking.

I invited our county DES manager, who is a ham, to operate FD here. I have a
6kw portable genset, offered to have "antenna class" where we would build
some wire antennas and plan their deployment, operating class, etc, etc. He
declined.

Same thing with the local Scout troop.

I'd considered rolling the genset around to the yard next to the shack and
making a few Qs last weekend but after mowing several acres and pulling
weeds for 3 hours I ran out of gas.

This month I decided to focus my energies on the VHF QSO party. I try to
balance my weekends between chores, antenna projects, and the occasional
contest weekend. I'll probably spend at least part of the upcoming holiday
weekend getting the shack ready for the IARU.

You are to be commended on your generous "attitude of Elmerism". On
"regular" contest weekends when operating, even if I'm running rate I will
pause for a newbie and explain the "format" of whatever contest is running.
During the VHF I recall helping two guys figure out their grid squares. More
than once while rate was sagging stations replied to my CQ with partial
calls while no others were calling...or did the "whose turn is it anyway?"
deal. If rate was below about 50 they received a quick lesson in operating
technique. So, I guess I did my share of lid re-education this month.

Unfortunately, last weekend I didn't have the energy or patience to deal
with the crowd that didn't know when it was their turn to send their call
and exchange....and repeating my exchange back to me and occasionally
repeating MY call a couple of times...a personal favorite.

Interesting topic, though. I'm curious to read the observations of others.

uhhh, five-niner, Indiana..uhhh, roger?

73, Mark, K9GX
.