[CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion

Floyd Larck, KK3Q hamradio at kk3q.net
Thu Jun 29 09:49:04 EDT 2006

"And finally, my suggestion:  The Rules already say that Class D stations do
not get credit for working each other.  I think the intent is to maintain
the "emergency exercise" spirit of FD, and I agree.  From my Observation #1,
I suggest that Class D stations should also not be allowed to solicit
contacts ("call CQ", in the vernacular).  Even beyond maintaining the spirit
of FD, I think that without this rule change, a few dozen big Class D
operations could turn FD into their own NAQP, just without the multipliers."

I agree with your statement here, Art. I ran 1D this year as I've been off
the air for some years now so I got on to get the rust out of my contesting
skills and to get the station back in shape.

I only went online to work others (in lieu of calling CQ) and I too ran into
some folks that wanted the answering station to go first and because of that
I wound up inadvertently working a couple of 1D stations that I didn't
intend to work. After working a couple of the 1D's I began waiting for the
stations calling CQ to work someone else to get the report BEFORE I worked
them so I didn't have a bunch of contacts I couldn't count. Did it slow me
down? Sure did, but I still got to work some folks that were running as "A"
stations in field day and I had fun doing it. I did have a couple of
difficult contacts working "A" stations that were swamped by some "D's" that
"occupied" a large slice of the frequency close by (is 4khz too wide?) but
that's the norm when so many folks are trying to use the bands.

I know there will be home stations on the air during emergencies, but this
is in regards to Field Day operations. Maybe the "D" stations should sort of
stand back a bit to keep FD from becoming just another contest. Do you feel
FD is an "exercise" or a "contest"? My thoughts are that it was meant to be
an exercise for all participants, although I could be wrong so someone
please correct me if I am.

I don't mean to sound like "D" stations should be penalized I just feel,
like you do, that the true spirit of field is to support those using their
emergency/temporary operating positions to hone their skills in the event
that their clubs/organizations might be called into duty for what amateur
radio is called to do in times of crisis.

Floyd, KK3Q
Hurricane Alley, Florida