[CQ-Contest] FD observations and suggestion

Guy Molinari guy_molinari at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 29 11:30:10 EDT 2006

I think this is one of those arguments where everyone is right.

1)  The charter for the Amateur Service includes (among other things),
creating a pool of trained radio operators who can assist during times of
emergency.   The goal of FD seems to be in line with this.

2)  Contesting helps build the necessary operating skills.  It's not enough
just to set up the equipment under adverse conditions.   You actually have
to operate.

3)  The secondary (yet critically important) aspect of FD is to have fun.
This helps recruit new blood into ham radio.   The problem is that each of
us has a different definition of what fun is.   In my club, there is a group
of hard core contesters.   Fun is defined as "getting a rate fix" (pardon
the druggie humour).   Even these guys (myself included) enjoy the social
aspects of this.  Another group sees the whole event as an opportunity to
socialize with family and friends in a ham radio club setting.  This
involves eating, sitting around the campfire, trying out a new unfamiliar
mode, whatever.

IMHO, a good club should meet all of these needs, but there are clubs that
specialize as well.   There are a number of large contesting clubs in every
corner of this country and large parts of the world.  These specialized
clubs (at least the larger ones) host a FD effort.

The Mike and Key club here in Seattle is a large vibrant club that meets a
broad range of needs.  There is plenty of good natured ribbing (hard core CW
contester types vs. laid back SSB guys).

I don't think the D class folks should be excluded, but I do think that
there should be an INCENTIVE for getting out in the field.   IMHO, it
probably is bad form to run if you are D class, but if you are in the field
you probably should run most of the time anyway.

It's all good.

73 - Guy, N7ZG