[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX SSB: 40m operation - and other musings

Richard DiDonna nn3w at cox.net
Mon Mar 6 11:05:53 EST 2006

Here we go again.

When you have a major contest as this during the low part of the cycle, it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to contain several hundred stations into 60 kHz of space.  Especially since 40 has been so wonderful this winter - propagationwise.  If you were to channelize the 7040 - 7100 kHz range into 1.5 kHz channels, that leaves room for 40 stations to call CQ (listening up) and for those U.S. stations listening down for Europe/Asia/Africa/rest of the world.  Compare that to 20 meters which was JAM PACKED from 14.140 (the Canadian exclusivity section) to 14.350 - over 200 kHz of room.

I think that folks did a decent job of keeping above 7030 at least.

While were at it, I'm pretty annoyed at the tendency for staions in the lower part of the band to steal listening frequencies.  I know that I got spotted on packet several times on 40.  And guess what, less than 5 minutes later, large European stations fired up on my EXACT listening frequency and began calling CQ.

But until the ITU moves the B/C stations, we're going to have to live with it I guess.

73 Rich NN3W