[CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Wed Mar 8 17:36:43 EST 2006

You are mixing 2 different packet problems

Self spotting is against many contest rules and has been used in the past as
an attempt to bolster runs by some stations.  Since it has been outlawed
some operators have taken to using fake callsigns and other methods to avoid
getting caught.  My report is aimed at pointing out the self spotters that
are dumb enough to try to hide behind fake calls and other mechanisms to try
to break the rules.

Spotting accuracy is a whole different problem.  It is always up to you to
make sure you copy the call of the station you work, its just a bit of an
annoyance to have to weed out the bad spots.  I have in the past done
analysis of busted spots, but mostly for fun when there are a large number
of them related to particularly easily bustable calls.  I would rather see
the spots and have to delete them then have people scared of posting what
they hear.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net