[CQ-Contest] Response to KA1LMR's Posting About Spotting

Bob Naumann - W5OV W5OV at W5OV.com
Fri Mar 10 08:50:59 EST 2006

K4XS said:  "Yes, lots of stations ask me and others to spot them.  Most
experienced contesters agree that those actions put them in the assisted
class or higher.  I have no problem with stations asking for those spots, so
long as they claim assisted category."

I hope that most experienced contesters would know that the stations who
request to be spotted are cheating and should be disqualified.  I'm also
afraid that claiming assisted does not cover it.

CQ Says:  "the use of packet to SOLICIT contacts during the contest is
unsportsmanlike and the entry is subject to disqualification. "
ARRL Says: "In contests where spotting nets are permissible, spotting your
own station or requesting another station to spot you is not permitted."

Simply - don't spot yourself or ask anyone else to!

Need any more be said?

I suppose the rules might need to include a statement like "using bogus
callsigns or spoofing of other's callsigns to solicit qsos or to spot your
own station (or your friend) is not permitted" just to make it perfectly
clear.

Sadly, anything this guy has done or said is now in doubt.

73,

Bob W5OV

P.S. Thus far, KA1LMR's post is the top contender for the annual SPOTYOC.C
award.