[CQ-Contest] KA1LMR and opinions

kr2q at optonline.net kr2q at optonline.net
Sat Mar 11 11:44:04 EST 2006

HI all:

As for me, this is one the most impressive set of "responses" I have seen on here in
a very long time: honor, ethics, sportsmanship, "to thine own self be true," once caught,
you wear the scarlet letter forever, etc.

As for "time to move on" or "don't beat up the guy," I disagree to a degree.  Certainly,
we one should not strive to "drive out newcomers who do it wrong."  The effort
(whether newcomer or otherwise) should be correction (at least initially, per player).

Many of you have either forgotten or never even knew, but a LOT of the "best"
contesters today, with callsigns we all recognize, either "did it wrong" or were
even DQ'ed at some point in their contest career.  I do have a long memory and
I must admit that I do still wonder at certain portions of their log, but on the whole
and for the vast majority, they "got it" and have gone on to do exemplary things.

Back to the quantity of responses.  I do not view this as bombarding the guy; I
see it as a demonstration that certain behaviors are shared widely among contesters
and that other behaviors are not acceptable, and that this appreciation of the
methodology is both broad-based and backed up by rules.  I say, the more
comments, the better (within reason, of course).

For many such aberrant behaviors, a large volume of peer pressure will be more
successful at altering that behavior than will a simple citation of the rules.

Very few of us (if any) have done things perfectly the very time....otherwise the
word NOVICE would not exist (not, I don't mean the title of ham ticket).

de Doug KR2Q