[CQ-Contest] KENWOOD TS-2000

Jan Erik Holm sm2ekm at telia.com
Tue May 2 00:47:44 EDT 2006

This is from www.w8ji.com
http://www.w8ji.com/transmitter_splatter.htm

Radios

Some modern radios are especially poor, even when operated at rated power
levels.  For example, the TS-2000 and IC-756 series radios are particularly bad
on 160 meters. I can hear some of these radios, when signals are strong,
producing weak spurious emissions (splatter) 10-20 kHz away from the operating
frequency. If you look at ARRL test reports of transmitters, you will see many
radios are just a bit above class-C performance levels. (Remember the ARRL uses
dB below PEP, which improves results by 6 dB compared to commercial test methods.)

IM3 levels of -30 dB are really very poor. An old KWM2 I tested was -47 dB using
ARRL standards. Compared to something like an IC-756, the Collins had about 50
times LESS power in total adjacent channel distortion products!

end quote.

Atleast I wouldn´t buy a radio that gets words like this.

73 Jim SM2EKM