[CQ-Contest] KENWOOD TS-2000

W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Tue May 2 16:33:00 EDT 2006

> Does anyone here know if a KENWOOD TS-2000 can be used as an
> effective contest rig?

I haven't spent enough time with one to venture an opinion, but the short
time I did operate one it seemed quite capable.  It's no FT-1000, but for a
rig that operates from 160 thru 440, it's quite a box.  It is certainly the
best radio for remote contesting as evidenced by its use in most remote
station setups.  The Kenwood TS-480 is also in use, but it seems that most
favor the TS-2000.  Either Kenwood's RCP software,  W4MQ's excellent IRB
software, or F6DEX's TRX-manager are used.  TRX-Manager works with most
radios with RS-232, but only with the Kenwood TS-2000/TS-480 in real time.
There is also work on the SDR.

I'm currently researching a setup of a remote base with CW which seems to be
the challenge  just now.    Our local club (not contesting)  has been
experimenting with both Kenwood rigs, and we currently have the SDR on line
but only with remote desktop.  The latency problem is the first hurdle,
especially for high speed CW.

I have used W4MQ and VK3UR's remote stations from my desk here in Florida.
It's really quite amazing to operate VK3UR's station and turn his beam from
10,000 miles away.

With the omnipresent deed restrictions, it may well be the best solution for
many of us

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"