[CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results

John Geiger w5td at lcisp.com
Thu May 18 10:41:52 EDT 2006

Probably because most new hams are elmered (including the ARRL) into getting
onto 2 meter FM and maybe APRS.  And many get their licenses today solely
for the public service aspect of it, and have no interest in contesting,
propagation, or awards.

We recently had a special licensing class here locally for the medical
personnel who work at the local hospitals.  While several got a tech license
out of the class, I would be very surprised to ever hear any of them on
VHF/UHF SSB or HF at all.  They got licensed for the emergency
communications aspect of our hobby, and nothing more.  That is not a bad
thing, but that is why we are not seeing the growth in VHF contesting that
the numbers indicate we should have.

73s John W5TD