[CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results

N7MAL N7MAL at CITLINK.NET
Thu May 18 18:53:36 EDT 2006

The problem here is a very simple one to understand, especially if you can ever sit down one on one with folks at the ARRL, (who are willing to talk). QST no longer represents our interests, especially contesters. It is a revenue generator controlled by financial types. I have been told ""the ARRL / QST is a business first.""
I consider myself to be an average reader of QST, the first thing I look at when QST arrives is the Silent Keys and if I'm not listed there the very next place I used to go was Contest Corral / Results. Everyone, I don't care who you are, likes to see his name/call in print. We like seeing where we stand with our contesting peers. Some financial 'knot-head' decided it was a waste of time/space publishing complete results. You would think the contests the ARRL sponsors would give maximum exposure to the results and how the competitors faired. Do you suppose the 5 or 10 year business plan calls for eliminating contests sponsored by the ARRL? Even worse QST will be renamed 'Shack-on-a-Belt.'

MAL
N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm
http://geocities.com/n7mal/
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley
  To: cq-contest at contesting.com
  Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 23:55
  Subject: [CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results

  June 2006 QST contains a double-barreled reminder of the unfortunate
  ARRL policy re non-publishing of contest results.

  I was in the midst of hopping between the 2005 Phone SS and 2005 160
  Meter write-ups when I realized that I would not be seeing results of my
  own or my friends' efforts in those pages.  Instead of the articles
  provoking enjoyment and anticipation for upcoming contests, my initial
  interest turned to frustration and disappointment.

  With all due respect to Ford and Kelly, I firmly believe a simple
  tabulation -- in print -- of *all* (repeat -- *all*) entrants by
  Division and Section does more to encourage youngsters, non-contesters,
  and our fellow club members to get on and make QSOs than all the
  wordsmithing about a handful of elite category leaders.

  Furthermore, the inclusion of photographs of entrants whose calls and
  results do not appear elsewhere in those two articles is rotten
  journalism.  Even low-budget local weekly newspapers know better than to
  do that.

  Sad.

  Bud, W2RU