[CQ-Contest] Those Super Radios - NCJ Column

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Sun May 21 22:06:32 EDT 2006

With some of the recent  web discussions on the IC-7800 and the Orion 2, this
ought to be an interesting  topic for the next NCJ "Contesting on a Budget
article:
Those “super radios”: the  cat’s pajamas or a gold plated Lexus?
With many good radios  available on the new and used markets for under $2000,
why spend $14,000 on an  IC-7800, or purchase even the much more reasonably
priced Orion II?  Do the capabilities justify the  cost?  Are the myriad
features a  plus or just too many to master?  Can we build true SO2R capability into
one box?  Do we even want to?  What less pricey alternatives are  available?
Please direct your  responses to _PaulKB8N at AOL.Com_ (mailto:PaulKB8N at AOL.Com)
.
I appreciate your  insights, and will need your responses no later than
Thursday, May 25th.   Thanks in advance!
Paul,  K5AF