[CQ-Contest] W6AM Pictures

k3bu at optonline.net k3bu at optonline.net
Mon May 22 16:11:22 EDT 2006

Jim, N6TJ writes:
<BR>> So, pretty much from early 1973 to Don's passing in June 1985, I <BR>> operated <BR>> many contests from W6AM, and spent literally 100's of hours there -<BR>> working <BR>> on the station and listening to him and the history of ham radio.&nbsp; <BR>> Don was <BR>> truly one of the pioneers (I think he got his first "license" in <BR>> 1912).<BR>> During the last couple decades of the W6AM rhombic ranch, it was <BR>> 'only' 9 <BR>> rhombics and 18 directions on 24 acres, 1234 ft above the Los <BR>> Angeles Basin, <BR>> right on the edge of the Pacific.&nbsp; During its heyday, Don's <BR>> property was 120 <BR>> acres with 13 rhombics and 26 directions. <BR><BR>Thanks Jim!<BR><BR>Very interesting and W6AM was certainly an icon and unique "hamonized" commercial installation of rhombics.<BR><BR>Would you care and remember to share some anecdotes about Rhombics performance vs. regular mortal's antenna installations?<BR><BR>I had Rhombic one summer, running FTDX400, and Kerma
dec expedition kept telling me that I was only NA station that they were hearing when the band was "dead" to NA. <BR><BR>I believe Rhombics are performing quite a bit better than what modeling software would indicate (calculated gain vs. real life performance). <BR><BR>Tesla RC has acquired 175 salty - marshy acre Rhombic farm on NJ coast and we are looking forward to resurect it, any advice and experiences are greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>73 Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU<BR>Tesla RC, N2EE, NT1E<BR><BR>