[CQ-Contest] ARRL SS Contest Trend Analysis

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Wed Nov 1 00:30:33 EST 2006

I wanted to get a quick idea of where the ARRL SS is headed, and the
following has helped me decide that I better enjoy it while I can for the
next few years.

Taking the CK data from the total 2005 CW SS logs submissions:

Approx 17% of logs submitted involved CKs from 2005 back apprx 25 years (CK
1981-2005).
Approx 78% of logs submitted involved CKs from apprx 26 years to 55 years
ago (CK 1951-1980)
Approx  5% of logs submitted involved CKs from apprx 56 years ago or
earlier (CK 1909-1950)

Some of these were club stations, of course, but I'm sure a very small
percentage. It would be very interesting to know the actual age of each
individual operator at the time they were licensed (most likely teenagers
then).

My group (1956-1960) has the highest # ... I guess we are a bunch of
die-hards :-)

ARRL 2005 CW Sweepstakes Log Submissions (Accuracy: +/- 1%)

CK 2001-2005 =  32
CK 1996-2000 =  39
CK 1991-1995 =  49
CK 1986-1990 =  47
CK 1981-1985 =  40
CK 1976-1980 = 144
CK 1971-1975 = 125
CK 1966-1970 = 133
CK 1961-1965 = 192
CK 1956-1960 = 198
CK 1951-1955 = 138
CK 1946-1950 =  32
CK 1941-1945 =   2
CK 1936-1940 =  14
CK 1931-1935 =   7
CK 1926-1930 =   2
CK 1921-1925 =   1
CK 1916-1920 =   0
CK 1911-1915 =   0
CK 1906-1910 =   2

Yup, we gotta enjoy it while we can.

73 & CU in SS this weekend (and above all, please have FUN) ...

Rick, K6VVA