[CQ-Contest] Questions on Pile-up Management

K0HB k-zero-hb at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 2 19:19:25 EST 2006

> 1) I know its best to pick out a full callsign after just one call.  My
question is for those times when you can't pick out a full callsign, is it
better to send a partial call (e.g. 1AW 5NN4) to keep the rhythm going or
should you pause and allow the pile-up to call second a time?

-------------
I generally just send whatever fragment of a call I've copied with a "?"
like "1AW?" --- this serves to thin down the pile and gives me the full
call.  If I send "1AW 5NN4" he may not return the complete call.
-------------

> 2) Occasionally when I get the chance to run a CW pile-up I'll get
callers who seem to mis-read my exhange to someone else as their own.  For
example, I send  W1AW 5NN4  and besides the intended  W1AW  I also get some
other station sending me a report.  If I just send  R TU  to continue the
pileup then both  W1AW plus the mystery caller are logging me but I'm only
logging W1AW.  The mystery caller isn't going to call me again in the test
because he thinks we've worked and I've lost a potential QSO.  Is there a
good way to recover these QSO's without breaking rhythm?

In these cases, rather than just "R TU", I send the call of the station
I've logged "W1AW R TU DE K0HB".  This should alert the second station that
he's not the one I've logged.

73, de Hans, K0HB