[CQ-Contest] Questions on Pile-up Management

David Hachadorian k6ll at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 2 21:05:35 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "VA3NR" <va3nr at arrl.net>
To: <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:30 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Questions on Pile-up Management

>I have a couple questions for those experienced running CW
>pile-ups:
>
> 1) I know its best to pick out a full callsign after just
> one call.  My question is for those times when you can't
> pick out a full callsign, is it better to send a partial
> call (e.g. 1AW 5NN4) to keep the rhythm going or should
> you pause and allow the pile-up to call second a time?

I would send 1AW 5NN4

There is another option, to send "1AW? KN"

Never ask the pileup to call again, unless you didn't get
any fragment of a callsign at all.

> 2) Occasionally when I get the chance to run a CW pile-up
> I'll get callers who seem to mis-read my exhange to
> someone else as their own.  For example, I send  W1AW 5NN4
> and besides the intended  W1AW  I also get some other
> station sending me a report.  If I just send  R TU  to
> continue the pileup then both  W1AW plus the mystery
> caller are logging me but I'm only logging W1AW.  The
> mystery caller isn't going to call me again in the test
> because he thinks we've worked and I've lost a potential
> QSO.  Is there a good way to recover these QSO's without
> breaking rhythm?

When this happens, I intervene manually, and send "W1AW W1AW
QSL CQ TEST DE K6LL" instead of the canned TU message.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.