[CQ-Contest] ARRL SS Contest Trend Analysis

hounds1234 at comcast.net hounds1234 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 3 11:34:02 EST 2006

RE analysis of SS participation:

You may wish to read or re-read the article:  "The Future of Contesting: Some
Modest Predictions" by yours truly, N6ZFO, in the March, 2002 issue of the
NCCC Jug -- available to all at www.nccc.cc.

At that time, age data was available on Tree's web pages for most SS participants.
The  analysis combines actuarial data, availalbe from insurance companies,
with age data and other trends in SS participation.

Some of the conclusions:

--  with the same level of recruiting as in years prior to 2002, the SS participation would
have declined by 18% in 2016 relative to the base year.

--  If each of ten contest clubs recruited 4 members / year, for a total of 40 new
contesters each year, then the decline, by 2016, would be "only" 10%.

The article was prepared prior to the big SMC and NCCC ,and now PVRC, major
efforts of the past several years.

Someone with a little time on their hands could do an update.

73, Bill N6ZFO/6

From: "VE5ZX" <ve5zx at hotmail.com>