[CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes: Should I be penalized for getting mylicense in 2000?

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Wed Nov 8 10:26:23 EST 2006

> Since operating in Sweepstakes for the first time a few years
> ago and falling in love with this contest, I wondered - am I
> at a real disadvantage given that my check is 00 or ten dahs
> on CW?

> twice that to check 55. Having made about 1200 contacts in
> the last two sweepstakes this means that I spent 1200/144=8.3
> extra minutes on sending long check compared to an average
> operator and 16.6 extra minutes compared to a lucky one. This
> roughly translates to 7 or 14 QSOs less given the average
> rates. I am well aware that life is not fair (I do contest
> from the Pacific Northwest), but am I being robbed?
>
> 73, Denis - K7GK

Denis.

The length of 00 shouldn't be a show-stopper, unless of course, you have
finished just outside the 7 to 14 qso's behind the category winner.

It's probably less of a concern than other things....

What do you use as your closing remark in the QSO?  "QSL 73 K7GK QRZ SS?"

Do you send "NR" (or "UR") or "CK" or "SEC" prior to the appropriate
alpha-numerics? (I had a dozen or more who prefaced their exchange data with
one or more of them)

Do you put extra spaces or half-spaces between exchange elements?

After a CQ, how quickly after a calling station finishes his call do you
actually start sending the exchange?

You could elevate your speed a word or two a minute to offset the 10-dahs.
I don't know about other software, but TRLog lets you selectively
increase/decrease the CW speed within the exchange.  So, you could just
cruise at 33wpm, bump up to 40wpm for the 00, then back to 33wpm to finish
the exchange.

Also, I notice you are in Oregon.  You could move to another section.  ID,
EB, RI is short.

73,
Dale, kg5u