[CQ-Contest] SOA v. SO, advantage or disadvantage, etc.

RICHARD BOYD ke3q at msn.com
Wed Nov 8 13:02:37 EST 2006

I agree that the best SOA ops know how to use it well, when to use it and when not.

I recall a phone DX contest when N3RR and I were each doing 175 per hour just grabbing spots.  If you do that well, with a good station and reasonably good operating skills, it can be very fast, like a run, while maximizing mults too.

In an SO2R context, the best ops will know when to run and how to fill in with good stuff coming from spots, on radio two, without interrupting the run too much.  Other times, maybe when there are no runs available, to just grab spots and grab 'em fast.

73 - Rich, KE3Q