[CQ-Contest] DC as a multiplier (was re: Section phonetics on phone)

Richard DiDonna NN3W nn3w at cox.net
Wed Nov 8 13:28:55 EST 2006

Well, Rich you stepped in it.

I agree that DC should be a multiplier - just not in sweepstakes. Sweeps has traditionally been a contest of ARRL/CARL sections or amalgamations of sections.  It has never a recognized subsection of sections as multipliers  Keeping with tradition, DC is a subsection of the Maryland/DC ARRL section and should not be separately broken out.

Now, as to other contests, ARRL DX, ARRL 10, ARRL 160, and the CQ 160 all recognize DC as a separate multiplier.  Its a separate entity, represented by a separate government with its own police force, charter, and whatnot.

Why the NCJ contests don't recognize it as an entity is beyond me.

And for disclosure purposes, this should not be a macropolitical issue.  Since ARRL, CQ magazine, DARC, JARL and countless entities assign entity status to an ungodly number of entities, there is no political taint to assigning DC multiplier statuts.

73 Rich NN3W