[CQ-Contest] Where's Waldo [was: section names, SD v SDG]

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 09:53:12 EST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: steve.root at culligan4water.com

KE3Q said: "Seriously, there are people who get on and make their first QSO ever and plenty who don't have any idea what section they're in. "

I worked an N2 who gave me a perfect exchange, except for a sectiuon he sent "NY". I asked him 'SEC?" and he again sent "NY". So I asked him "ENY, WNY, or NNY?" and he just sat there completely confused. So I finally said "Tnx anyway NIL", deleted the QSO and went back to work.

This isn't unique to HF contesting.  Given the Grid-centric way that VHF operates, you'd think that everyone would know their Grid4 (if not their Grid6).  Nope.

Ev, W2EV

PS: Grids can be exteded out to 12 meaningful cyphers.  It would be an interestingly quirky project for someone to write a java app to calculate it all out! :)