[CQ-Contest] Check of 00, a disadvantage?

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 10 14:48:29 EST 2006

I remember working W1MX (I think) as my first contact and he gives me a check of  "08".

08 ??  That can't be right it's not 2008 yet...   So I ask for a repeat thinking he sent 08 by mistake.  I copy it again and 08 is what the guy sent.  I ask one more time for a repeat. OK I will just log it as I heard it.  It then dawns on me a few minutes after I logged him the year he was licensed was 1908 not 2008. My apologies for being a LID to whoever was operating at W1MX. Guess I was having a brain fart or something !!!

We will see more of this as the years go on with the checks that some of the old time college
clubs use... was that 2010 or 1910 ???

I can't stand my check - 76 - I must get hundreds of requests for repeats every year in SS - both CW and SSB !!!

Jeff / KU8E