[CQ-Contest] why Unlimited [aka Assisted]?

Mike K9MI k9mi at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 15:22:49 EST 2006

As a small station in the "black hole", I get beat up pretty bad on Friday
night of a Dx contest. I've not been very active the past year or two, due
to health problems. But, I'll cut to the chase. I thought one time I would
go "assisted". Well, what I thought was a good idea, was more like shooting
myself in the foot. Going assisted, using packet, when a spot would come up,
the pileups would be so large, it was actually more of an hindrance then
help. Maybe on a Sunday it would be beneficial, but Friday night and
Saturday, it was not a benefit to me. I shutdown my cluster connection, and
went back to the usual tune the bands, and S&P and turned in my log as
assisted. I think I have worked one Dx phone contest since getting a little
amp (500 watts) and I did notice I did not get beat up as bad on Friday
night as usual. So for me, it seems a bit of a distraction then help.
Although in SS I can see getting down to only needing the last 2 or 3
sections for a sweep and having packet to help find them.

73, Mike K9MI