[CQ-Contest] Wideband noise

David Hachadorian k6ll at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 13 11:26:57 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <zl1aih at ihug.co.nz>
To: <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 8:04 AM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Wideband noise

> Hi All,
> For CQWW CW next week end, I checked an IC-
> 746PRO in a Multi-Single arrangement.   Listening
> with an IC-781, the 746 generated severe wideband
> noise during key-up condition.
> Reversing the rigs, the 781 was undetectable other
> than on the harmonic freqs.

I don't know about the 746pro, but wideband noise on
transmit, keyed up or keyed down, is a typical
characteristic of synthesized radios. Wideband noise
reduction is the primary reason for having a bandpass filter
on all radios in a multi-radio setup, unless the antennas
are very far apart. I'm surprised that you didn't hear noise
from the ic-781.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ