[CQ-Contest] Precise or Clear?

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 12:22:09 EST 2006

>> Published rules should be
>> accurate and complete.

When asked "What is complementary to truth?" the eminent physicist Neils
Bohr replied, "Clarity." Read any User's Agreements lately?

It is very difficult to write simple rules that accomplish the goal of
getting a diverse readership to have a reasonably similar understanding
thereof.  I agree that most sets of rules could use a good refinishing,
ARRL's included.  Believe me, I see some weely, weely skwewy wules as
Contest Corral editor...    But - precision is often the enemy of
comprehension.

73, Ward N0AX