[CQ-Contest] For $0.99 you get... [was: SS Packet DANGER, DANGER, Will Robinson!!!]

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 18 08:36:15 EST 2006

----- Original Message ----

I just happened to be listening on my second radio when the CQ'er got the
unsolicited info about the VY1 up 7.  I go up 7 and work him.  Am I
"assisted" now, too?

If you are in an ARRL contest, the answer is embedded here:

2.1.Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting, receiving, and logging functions as well as equipment and antenna adjustments.

2.1.1.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, etc) is not permitted.

It is not the fact that you overheard someone conveying information beyond your ability to know it individually.  It is the fact that you acted on that information that places you in a more appropriate category.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV

PS: I am not an agent of the ARRL in any way, shape or form.  My opinion and $0.99 will get you a "Big Gulp" at the corner mini-market.