[CQ-Contest] [NCCC] SS Packet DANGER, DANGER, Will Robinson!!!

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Tue Nov 21 10:29:48 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 10:20:43AM -0600, Mark Beckwith wrote:
> >> Frankly, I don't really care which way the wind happens to be blowing, I
> >> think it's a great moment when a close friend you've cultivated over
> >> years
> >> and years of shoulder-to-shoulder competition slides down onto your
> >> frequency in a CD Party on Sunday afternoon to pass along "VE8 up 7."
>
> K5TR says:
>
> > I hate it when folks do that to me.
> >
> > I turn off the spotting assistance and am doing the contest
> > with my two radios and operating in an unassisted category.
> > I dont want folks feeding me the spotting info on my run frequency.
>
> George, you gotta go a long way to get from "a friend telling you there's a
> juicy one on" to "feeding me spotting info on my run frequency."
>
> > I do not see how this is any different than you watching the
> > the spotting system.
>
> Major difference.  I didn't solicit it.

mmmm.... I do not feel this way.  When I do an unassisted effort I want
to do an unassisted effort.

I think it is a good bet that in SS most folks will need the rare
mults for most of the contest so even if you do not solicit the help
your 'friend' could be pretty sure he was assisting you by telling you
where the rare mults are.  This is assisted in my book.

Clearly this is not like the folks that openly ask during the contest
for help in finding the mults they need for the sweep but I do not
see much diffrence.

I make every effort to follow the rules, indeed I am sure I go way
beyond in most cases.  This is just the way I am. I feel that
operators that are scoring at the top of their categories should be
even more careful about following the rules so there are no questions
that they no only follow the letter of the rules but the intent and
sprit of the rules as well.

Indeed the operators scoring well need to be above reproach.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr