[CQ-Contest] MIDCARS

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Thu Nov 23 01:28:39 EST 2006

Sean, K8KHZ, wrote:

> Then there are those places where you start to call CQ after asking 4-5
> times. No net is there but the the ops are monitoring the freq so the come to
> radio saying it is in use.

During the CW SS, I QSY'd to the lower 80m CW spectrum and found what appeared to be a "vacant" frequency.

I sent "QRL?" {pause}.  No response.

I sent "QRL? {pause} again.  No response.

At this point I assumed it was safe to proceed, and started calling CQ.

A "mystery" station then appeared telling me to QSY in QLF CW.  This did NOT sound like an SO2R "Pro".

I asked "Who?"

The response that came back was some CW crap alleging the frequency was in use.  Oh really?

Highly irritated by the station's refusal to identify, I decided to waste time and listen for a while.  Nothing heard (for what seemed like hours).

If I remember correctly, there were one or two additional "anti-social interchanges" between us, but the station would not identify and didn't start calling CQ.

I finally said: "Use it or lose it".  There was still no CQ by the other station, and no "resumption of any (alleged) prior QSO", just non-identified "QSY".

At that point, THE FREQUENCY WAS MINE...and I started CQing again.

For the next 5 or 10 minutes, a "mystery" CW signal started QRMing me sending "LID" with his (doubtful it was a "her") crappy QLF signal QSYing back and forth above, on, and below MY frequency.

IMHO, there are some real Psychos in this world.  God Bless 'em anyway...I made QSOs *through* the venemous intentional QRM.

73...

Rick, K6VVA