[CQ-Contest] zero delay vox cw, no footswitch

Dave Hachadorian K6LL at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 24 14:43:07 EST 2006

I'm in the process of converting from dos loggers to
N1MM/Writelog for cw. Computer keying comes from the LPT
port, hooked to the rig's hand key input. Hand-sent cw is
from a paddle hooked to the rig's paddle input.

A neat trick that I just discovered is to set the rigs' vox
delay to minimum, and use the programs' ability to send a
PTT command to the radios while a canned message is playing.
The PTT keeps the TR relay energized, even with vox delay
set at min, even at slow speeds. Hand-sent cw picks up the
vox, so no footswitch is required. Of course this would also
work with hardware PTT. Maybe I'm the last person in the
world to learn this trick, but it's a new one for me.

Good luck to all this weekend.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ