[CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboard Musings

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 09:19:59 EST 2006

Because I've been both a sponsor and user of realtime scoreboards since the very beginning (the first RT Scoreboards appeared in the fall of 2005), I'm now seeing aspects of them that can certainly be used to cheat (gasp!), or at the very least - provide "enhanced" ESP. :)

Here's my context...RFSport.com's RTLogging and RTScoreboarding system as used for VHF events.

RFSport.com's Realtime Log Posting was recently modified to "mask" the callsign of the stations worked until after the event closes (at which time the complete, unmasked log is auto-uploaded for all to see).  During the contest, everyone sees only that W2AAA just worked "someone" in FN31, but that is all.  Why?  Because folks were using the log information form other participants to "ESP" some contacts.  I did. :)

I'm now thinking that, other than call sign -- no information that is exchanged on the air as part of the contest should appear on a realtime scoreboard.

I'm also now thinking that contest sponsors should be able to create an XML4CONFIGURATION file that establishes the personality of the RTS to assure compliance.

In the VHF context, it is OK to know that W2EV on active, how many grids and QSO's I've worked, but is is not proper to reveal that W2EV is in FN03.

In an HF context, if I'm exchanging Zone as part of the contest exchange, then Zone should likewise not be revealed on the scoreboard.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV