[CQ-Contest] Assisted - still trying to get it right

Tree tree at kkn.net
Thu Nov 30 15:20:50 EST 2006

Paul, WB2ABD writes:

> I hate to sound like a broken record, but...
> I jump into a pileup found by spinning my VFO dial. How does that prove I'm
> connected to the Telecluster, or that I got the info from my buddy across town?
>  Throw me a bone of logic on this. It's a presumption of guilt without proof.

I think the logic comes into focus when you see a pattern of behavior over
a number of QSOs where the average time from when a spot appears until it
appears in the log is significantly different than other non-assisted logs.

There are other indicators - like what is the frequency profile of the
QSOs.  For example, if the frequencies are jumping around instead of
monotonic - it could be an indicator that something is up.

Of course, when a busted callsign appears on packet AND your log around the
same time, that is a strong indicator of a problem.

None of these are proof positive, but statisics help give an insight into
logs that look suspicious.

Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net