[CQ-Contest] f/B Antenna ratios - reception

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Tue Oct 3 09:38:47 EDT 2006

It's interesting how a thread called "f/B Antenna ratios - reception"
morphed from "how did I get trounced when I thought I did so well" to a
full-blown trip down memory lane!  I'm glad to see there are older farts
than me still alive and kicking.

To rein it back, a common thread in most of the comments is that just about
everyone, in their first contests, had a very small number of contacts
compared to the winner, yet in every case we all though we did so well, or
at least had unbridled enthusiasm.

Bob, this is to say, 651 QSOs (20M only) is pretty awesome.  Your score
probably would have won in about half the states - you're just unlucky
enough to live in a place where you have some serious competition.  No,
wait, that's actually a plus!

So you see, it's all in how you look at it.

The CONTEST CLUBS back where Bob lives (Del) are missing a trick if you
aren't fighting over him for your next rookie member, and inviting him to
your Multi-Multis.  'Nuff said.

Mark, N5OT
"Mike" to Ev :)