[CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction

VE5ZX ve5zx at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 7 10:48:39 EDT 2006

> I've introduced this concept before, but I feel we can do better to
> recognize individual performance based on a multi-dimensional array of
> categories
> that would allow most everyone to compare apples to apples.

Right on! Open Access contest database(s) with scores plus supplemental
information based on modern techniques such as XML not Cabrillo.

> I think the days of the one-dimensional scorecard (the top ten box) are
> over.  We have the tools to sort scores by an almost unlimited number of
> dimensions, why not use it for the benefit of contesting and the
> motivation of  the
> contesters?

Unfortunately, many sponsors are still living in the stone-age. I think top
ten boxes are going to remain with us until they are encouraged to come into
the 21st Century.

> This will only require a little more input when reporting scores but I
> think
> it will encourage more participation.

And young contesters are not going to flock to radiosport until we start
using modern tools and techniques.

One of the reasons I got my license 40+ years ago was because amateur radio
was an inventive community. Unfortunately when it comes to contest reporting
~dinosaurification~ seems to have set in. All they seem to hear when pleas
for more information are requested is "we don't need more categories!". Go
figure!

Syl

Sylvan Katz - VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK