[CQ-Contest] 2x4 County designators (was Contest Rules)

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Wed Oct 11 09:53:16 EDT 2006

On Oct 10, 2006, at 12:04 PM, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:

> For one thing, there will be confusion… I think someone noted
> yesterday that some stations in the CaQP were still sending the
> “old” 3 letter abbreviations, not the “new” 4 letter ones.  This is
> a problem that will persist for years, as some people will (for any
> one of a dozen reasons) fail to update their software or hardcopies
> to show the new abbreviations.  So, what are you going to do, DQ
> them?  I doubt it – the last thing anyone really wants to do is
> tick off active participants, to the point where they no longer
> wish to participate.  (And I sure hope that some of those who
> publicly swore off the upcoming Pa QSO Party, a few months back,
> for adding RTTY & PSK-31 modes, have a change of heart and will be
> active, but I digress)

	Actually Ron, I think that  this statement cuts to the heart of the
issue. I'm still taking heat - from around the world - for those
additions. Which is why I get a little amused when I hear about
sponsors being dinosaurs. My examples are real, they aren't thought
experiments or "you would think" statements  The fellow who writes
the best software for the party declines to update it for the
changes, People swearing they'll never participate again,  Abrasive
and negative comparisons to past directors. I can only imagine the
reaction to a change that doesn't help anyone except county hunters.

	All that being said, I believe that the changes I made are
positioning the party for the future, and are by and large a good
thing. Good changes have a tendency to become cherished traditions
after the shock wears off. But I just can't envision anyone saying
how glad they were that the county names were changed. 8^)

-73 de Mike KB3EIA -