[CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Fri Oct 13 11:06:23 EDT 2006

If that weren't so sad it would be hilarious.

CW still has its uses. Almost all of the QSO's I've made on 2304 MHz and
above have been on CW. I have 307 DXCC countries worked on CW. I don't
even have Phone DXCC yet. (Note I have nothing against SSB, I'm just 95% a
CW op myself.)

I haven't operated AM in about 30 years.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Robert Naumann wrote:

> In IV, A. 11, The FCC says:
>
> " 11. Further, based on the record in this proceeding, we are persuaded that
> we should authorize more spectrum in the 80 m band for voice communications
> than was proposed in the NPRM. Indeed, a number of commenters argue that the
> NPRM proposal to increase the amount of spectrum permitted for voice
> communications would still not meet the demand for voice communication
> spectrum in the HF bands, particularly in the 80 m band.53 As a result, some
> commenters request that the 80 m allocation be extended downward to include
> 3600-4000 kHz,54 3650-4000 kHz,55 or 3675-4000 kHz for voice
> communications,56 believing that expanding the band more than the Commission
> proposed
>
> is justified because the CW band "is grossly underused and represents a huge
> waste in spectrum." 57

[snip]

> Now, a little research:
>
> W3NP, David J. Humbertson's comments can be found here:
>
> http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_documen
> t=6516212732
>
> W5OV observation: Curious how someone who apparently only operates AM is
> worried about a "waste in spectrum".

[snip]