[CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation

K0HB k-zero-hb at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 13 22:38:51 EDT 2006

N7ZG said:

> From what I can tell, we didn't loose anything.

If by "we" you mean those of us with 1x2 callsigns, you're absolutely
correct. (Maybe --- read on)

> I don't see any reason why CW couldn't extend above 3600 in
> contests like SS.

It's interesting that you use SS as your example.  Had you said CQWW or
even ARRL DX, I'd have agreed with you (maybe even said "it wouldn't have
to").

But SS is historically the contest where new serious contesters are born.
It's where they get trained, and from whence come the contesters who move
on up into CQWW and ARRL DX.

It's a domestic contest, low power/modest antennas are OK, and you can stay
up all night and S&P on 80m, and maybe even try your hand at your first run
frequency (especially if you can "hang out on the edges").   But if you're
a General or Advanced licensee, that all just went away with this R&O.  Now
rather than 3525 to 3750 as your SS S&P playground (225kHz), you suddenly
have a playground only 1/3 that size (75KHz) and that's wall-to-wall Class
B CQ machines holding their run QRG.  Not a chance for a low power or
inexperienced guy to grab a freq in that power alley, and the everyone
below 3525 and above 3600 is out of bounds even for S&P to all Advance and
Generals.  Time to shut down the rig and go watch the cleavage on "Deal or
No Deal"!

Fortunately, this misbegotten R&O won't affect SS CW this year......

.....but you can take this to the bank --- "If this R&O survives, the SS CW
log count and the average score for all participants will drop at least 30%
for SS CW 2007."  And that drop-off will inevitably send ripples up into
CQWW, ARRL DX, 160M, and all the other HF CW contests in years to come.
We capture our new serious contesters in SS, and this R&O comes at the
perfect time (low sunpots) to harm SS CW beyond recovery.

73, de Hans, K0HB