[CQ-Contest] SSB Sections in SS

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Thu Oct 19 03:59:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Paul J. Piercey wrote:

 > For me, the "correct" phonetics are always easy to copy. It's the
 > "personalized" ones that can also throw you off. If I use "Very Old One Has
 > Everything" I'll have to repeat it a million times.

FYI, when I operated ARRL SS on Sunday from N6IJ two years ago, I didn't
find one person who asked for a repeat of "Norway SIX Indiana
Jones".  Actually, it brought many chuckles.  I think it was N0IJ who said
he wished he would have thought of it :-)

 > Everyone.... please stick the the standard phonetics all should be OK.

Unfortunately, whoever initially decided that "ALPHA" was a good phonetic
for "A" must have been smoking some weird stuff.  WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too often
it is misinterpreted for "DELTA" in QRM.

I have many fewer requests or need to scream a call correction if I use
"AMERICA" instead of "ALPHA" for "A".   ALPHA is shorter, I do use it, but
darn...I sure get tired of hearing a station on the other end come back
with "DELTA" ;-(

It's kinda like "GOLF" for "G".  During ARRL FD a few years ago, I'll
ballpark about 20% of the time our W6GGF (local club) call didn't get
through using "GOLF".  When I reverted to the "Good Old (DXing) Days" use
of "GERMANY", no problems whatsoever.  Coincidence?  Nope.

IMHO, part of current Phonetic Alphabet needs an vocal enema.

73...

Rick, K6VVA