[CQ-Contest] SSB Sections in SS

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Sun Oct 22 11:52:19 EDT 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:05:21 -0700, George Fremin III <geoiii at kkn.net>
 wrote:

>I think the best answer to you question is that you should use
>what works best.  Not every section is the same.  As WM5R said
>'South Texas' works better when you have to say it 2000+ times
>than 'Sirrea Tango X-ray'.  This will not be true for each section
>or for that matter for each opererator.

Keep in mind that the "Sierra Tango X-ray" phonetics were developed by
the ICAO for use between aircraft and control towers in lands where
English was NOT the native language. The phonetics were chosen to be
most easily understood by non-English speakers. "South" and "Texas"
are probably better for domestic contests, but I'd go with ICAO for DX
work.

Bill, W6WRT