[CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Sun Oct 22 11:53:02 EDT 2006

Bob,

I'm glad you asked us for input on this subject. Although I've commented on
the continent points rule and the definition of Single-Op Unassisted, I
haven't commented on the use of real time scoreboards. I wanted to read what
others have to say before inserting my two-cents. Here's what I think:

For the most part, I agree that if you're looking at a real time scoreboard,
you're losing. And on first blush, it doesn't seem like the information
would be all that useful. But if it shows me, for example, that K5ZD is
running EU on 10m, then it's telling me that the band is open between EU and
W1, and I'd better get my butt up there. I can probably get the same
information by tuning my second radio on 10m and looking for activity, but
often I'm in the skip zone of stations in my call district and it may not be
obvious that the band is open. It would be obvious during years with high
solar activity because the pileups would be big, but in the transition years
the rate might be low enough that simply tuning wouldn't reveal that the
band is open enough to run. I'd have to call CQ a few times to see if it's
possible to run. That takes time and pulls my second radio off S&P duty on
another band. It would be an even bigger time sink for an SO1R station. I
know from comparing my rate sheets and logs against those from other
stations that reluctance to get off the current band and check another has
affected my scores. Being able to see that my competition has found an
opening would help, perhaps a lot. I think this is an example where
information from a real time scoreboard could materially affect the results.

That said, I don't see any way to detect that someone is monitoring a real
time scoreboard and/or using the information. Since I'm generally opposed to
creating rules that cannot be enforced, my recommendation is to let this one
go. Besides, I suspect the top operators will realize that it's not a good
idea to reveal where they are and will not post to real time scoreboards.

Now, can we get the committee to consider changing the continent points
rule?

73, Dick WC1M